As development in East New York continues, it looks like another Charter School will be coming to the neighborhood in this new project. The East New York community has been fighting against charter schools for years because it takes money away from the public schools that already exist and puts the money in the hands of private school operators. Charter schools are also based on a lottery, the same as affordable housing. It seems like every aspect of basic life is becoming a lottery situation, from housing to education and even employment. If you don’t win the lottery then you have to struggle to find a good school, affordable housing and a decent job. Only 1 percent of people win lotteries of any kind, leaving 99% to struggle and figure it out. This is not a sustainable model in any society.
According to YIMBY, permits have been filed for a six-story mixed-use building that will include a charter school, commercial space and community facility space. The address is 556 New Lots Avenue at the intersection of Van Siclen and New Lots Ave,
We will watch this particular development because this one has two lottery systems to watch out for, housing and education.
SUBSCRIBE to East New York News for updates.